car accident lawyer referral for a hit-and-runA hit-and-run conviction could mean up to three years in prison and $5,000 in fines for the at-fault driver. If you are the injured victim in a hit-and-run, however, those legal penalties will not pay for your damages. To get fair compensation, you’ll have to file a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company. It's also important not to go at it alone, and instead get the help of an experienced Twin Cities' attorney. Our free car accident lawyer referral service can help you find the right one for your specific injuries.

How You Can Strengthen Your Claim On Your Own At the Scene

  • Taking photos and gathering evidence, including witnesses’ contact information
  • Reporting the accident to the police
  • Notifying your insurance company
  • Not leaving the scene
  • Not admitting any fault
  • Not giving a recorded statement
  • Not signing anything beyond necessary police documents
  • Seeing a doctor
  • Retaining an attorney

What If the Other Driver Is Not Caught?

If the at-fault driver is not caught or does not have insurance, there might still be ways to recover your damages:

  • Your uninsured/underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. Depending on the severity of your injuries and the limits of your policy, UIM might cover some or all of your damages.
  • Your personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. PIP might also cover your medical expenses but will not cover your car repair or pain and suffering. Filing a claim could also cause your rates to increase.
  • Your collision coverage. If your policy includes collision coverage, it might pay for the repair/replacement of your vehicle. If it does, though, you could be responsible for the deductible amount.

Two or more of these types of coverage might be combined to cover some, most, or all of your damages if you have an attorney experienced in the complexities of hit-and-run accidents. That’s why your first stop after the wreck should be a doctor’s office, and your second should be a law firm.

Injured in Hit-and-Run? Our Free Car Accident Lawyer Referral Service is Here to Help

Our free car accident lawyer referral service will find you an experienced car accident attorney who can help you recover fair compensation for your damages. Contact us online or call 763-251-PAIN to request a free consultation. Just one call puts you two steps closer to justice!


Comments are closed.