If you notice signs of a shoulder injury after your Brooklyn Park, Minnesota car accident, it is important to seek treatment to prevent further discomfort and possible life-altering issues with your shoulder. Car accident shoulder pain should never be ignored because the shoulder is such a vital part of the body that is used in almost all upper body movements.
How Car Accident Shoulder Pain Occurs
Shoulder pain is a common complaint following a car accident. The sudden impact of a car accident can cause the muscles, ligaments, and tendons in the shoulder to stretch or tear. This type of injury is called a strain or sprain. Additionally, the force of the impact can cause the bones in the shoulder to fracture or dislocate.
In a car crash, shoulder injuries can be caused in three main ways:
- The shoulder may be hit by an object inside the car, such as the steering wheel, dashboard, or seatbelt. The force of the impact can cause the shoulder to be thrown out of its socket (dislocated).
- The shoulder may be hit by something outside the car, such as another car or a piece of debris. This can cause a fracture or break in the shoulder bone. This causes significant pain and is easily recognized.
- A car accident may cause the muscles, ligaments, and tendons around the shoulder to stretch or tear. This can result in pain and loss of movement in the shoulder.
Whiplash injury is usually associated with the neck, but it can cause pain in the shoulders as well. It may not cause pain right away after the crash but may develop over time. Our bodies are broken into different parts, such as the neck, low back, and hips, but it is all one unit with each part connected.
Car accident shoulder pain may also be related to emotional trauma. Emotional stress after a car accident can lead to muscle tension and pain in the shoulders.
Common Symptoms of Car Accident Shoulder Pain
If you are experiencing car accident shoulder pain, you may notice the following symptoms:
- Pain when moving the shoulder. You may feel pain when moving your arm or reaching for something. The pain may be dull and achy or sharp and stabbing.
- Swelling or bruising around the shoulder. You may see swelling or bruising around the shoulder or upper arm.
- Stiffness in the shoulder. You may find it difficult to move your shoulder or arm.
- Weakness in the arm. You may notice that it is difficult to lift your arm or that your arm feels heavy.
- Numbness or tingling in the arm. You may feel like your arm has "fallen asleep."
These symptoms may appear immediately following the car accident or they may develop over time. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to seek medical treatment.
Diagnosing and Treating Car Accident Shoulder Injuries
Your doctor will ask about your car accident and your symptoms. They will also perform a physical examination. Imaging tests, such as x-rays, MRIs, or CT scans, may also be ordered to assess the extent of your injuries.
Treatment for car accident shoulder pain will vary depending on the severity of your injury. For minor strains and sprains, over-the-counter pain medication and ice may be recommended. More severe injuries may require physical therapy or surgery.
Since some shoulder injuries may not develop symptoms right away, it is always smart to have a complete chiropractic check-up following the accident. Chiropractic care is also an effective treatment for car accident shoulder pain. Chiropractors use a variety of techniques, such as adjustments, to realign the bones and joints in the shoulder. This can help relieve pain and promote healing.
Chiropractic has been helping shoulder sufferers for many years and is the non-surgical non-drug treatment of choice for shoulder pain caused by a car crash. You should always make sure that any chiropractic care you receive is documented and that you keep a copy for your records.
Are You Suffering From a Car Accident Shoulder Injury?
If you suffer from a car-related injury please feel free to call us at 763-251-PAIN. We are your Brooklyn Park, Minnesota advocates. If we can’t help you, we will find someone who can. We are here to help get your life back on track.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.