Unlicensed DriverWhen you are injured in an accident caused by another driver’s irresponsible behavior, you have a legal right to hold that person accountable. But what happens when that person is an unlicensed driver? Do accident victims have options in those situations?

Holding an Unlicensed Minnesota Driver Responsible for a Crash

When it comes to the law, unlicensed drivers are no different than anyone else. If they cause a crash that results in injuries to others, they can be deemed liable. There are different ways to be labeled “unlicensed” in Minnesota, and this can impact your case. They are:

  • The driver simply does not have his license in his possession at the time of the crash.
  • The driver has an expired license.
  • The driver has not sought or been issued a license.
  • The driver’s license has been suspended or revoked.

The first circumstances probably mean a legal claim will proceed in a typical manner. Victims file a claim and are paid by the at-fault driver’s insurance company. The latter situations—those that involve drivers with an expired license, drivers who never had a license, or those who had one taken away—can be more challenging. Often, those drivers have no insurance, and it can be difficult to obtain compensation from them. However, even in those circumstances, options may exist.

When an Unlicensed Driver Has No Auto Insurance

In order to obtain car insurance in Minnesota, drivers must have a valid license. If an at-fault driver was driving without a license, it’s a good bet that they were also uninsured. However, the victim’s options for recovery depend on the specific details of the accident. Some common situations include when the unlicensed driver was driving:

  • An uninsured car of his own. It’s likely that an unlicensed driver who was driving his own car has no insurance. In that case, the victims would have to use their own auto insurance coverage to provide the necessary compensation.
  • A car borrowed with permission. If the unlicensed driver was driving someone else’s vehicle at the time of the accident, and the owner gave permission for him to drive the car, the owner’s auto insurance might cover the associated costs for the victim.
  • A car borrowed without permission. Conversely, if the driver was not given permission to use the car, the owner’s car insurance would not cover the accident, and victims would again likely have to seek compensation from their own insurance company.

Every accident situation is unique, and only an experienced attorney can help victims’ understand their rights and find the best way forward after an accident. To find the right lawyer who can help you recover as fully as possible, the accident professionals at 763-251-PAIN provide a free referral service. Our team will listen to your story and connect you with an attorney who has experience with other victims just like you. If you haven’t yet sought medical care, and you need to learn more about a local doctor who can also help, we offer physician referrals, too.

Call today, and you’ll be in touch with a professional who can help you take the first step back toward your normal life.